Friday, August 29, 2014

A Kitschy Kimono Sleeve Blouse





Yesterday I finished Pictorial Review 5929 from the early 1930s.  It's a simple kimono sleeve blouse which is shown as part of a set of lounging pajamas. 





 This is the 3rd time I've sewn it. Last year I made up the trousers in a wool twill.  I absolutely live in them during the cooler months so  they'll be showing up in outfits soon.




  I tend to gravitate towards autumnal colors no matter the season so lately I've really been trying to  sew with brighter colors.  Tasha from By Gum, By Golly is a constant source of inspiration for me on the colorful front! This time I decided to put a mid-century Mexican spin on it. I used a bright novelty rayon print.  I couldn't resist the kitsch of it's cowboys, flamenco dancers and sombrero hats! I changed the neckline to a simple scoop neck. The neck and armholes are bound in green bias binding and the fun colorful melange of ric rac is vintage. 




JP and I snapped some pics of the blouse in action at Friday's Old Oakland Farmer's Market.  We were sure to pick up lots of peaches because, alas, summer is fleeting. 




 I paired the blouse with a previous make; Wearing History's 'Chic Ahoy' Gaucho and Bolero set. They were a pleasure to make (the drop front with it's buttons and facings finish beautifully) and  I wear these quite a bit as last year I found I could even wear them into the early winter thanks to the lovely wool suiting's medium weight. 

Next up, I'm going to share the vintage knit I've got on my knitting needles! Enjoy your weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment