Monday, September 8, 2014

New Things

Source: designmuseum.org/

Many wonderful things are underway for me professionally right now!  On Saturday I accepted a position with a small bridal couturier in San Francisco.  For a few days a week I'll be hand stitching beautiful french lace and crafting stunning bridal headpieces in a studio with some pretty cool, kind women.  To boot, Its located on Russian Hill, so my day will be lousy with picturesque San Francisco street scenes!   I'ts actually on a cable car route so I'm toying with the idea of hopping on one for my morning commute.  But let me be real, the 40+ minute queue to get on one of those suckers will likely be a deterrent...


The really super big news is that a few weeks ago I became a small business owner!




I want to announce the launch of a really exciting project.  Since early in the year, JP (my boyfriend, who I see I haven't yet introduced here on the blog!) and I have been cracking away on a dream of mine.  A few weeks ago we opened Time Capsule Fabrics.  It's a mom and pop online fabric store that offers a curated selection of fabric and sewing patterns for the retro sewist! Its also my first foray into the world of entrepreneurship so you can imagine how nerve racking/invigorating its been. See, it wasn't kdding when I said things are exciting 'round here!


Source: lamixx.blogspot.com

As a seamstress who looooooves sewing vintage styles, especially the 1920s-1930s, I was always on the hunt for new fabric that would give my projects a look of authenticity.  I was tired of longing for the depression era prints on quilting cottons, wishing I could find something similar on say a crepe or lawn.  By the way, I love sewing garments out of quilting weight but it isn't right for a lot of projects. Rayon crepe and challis for instance was ubiquitous in stores until about 15 years ago and that 30's or 40's frock hanging in your closet is likley made of one of these fabrics but it is getting hard for seamstresses to find.  I ended up compiling my own list of the fabric I found online that had that vintage "je ne sais quoi".  JP noted the hours and hours I spent sifting though thumbnails on fabric store websites and made the bold suggestion that I start a store that stocked the very same fabric I was longing for.  I needed a lot of support and encouragement to take the risk and go for it but luckily I have great friends and family who did just that and now, 6 months later, it's a reality!


In the fashion district wanting to take home all the fabric!!!!

The blog wasn't yet a twinkle in my eye when this project got underway but in summary I've spent the last 6ish months trolling wholesaler's websites, talking to reps and attending trade shows.  The highlight so far has been a trip to LA's fashion district where I wheeled and dealed like nobody's business, scoring some excellent rayon crepe!  Yessss!  It's also been a great opportunity for me to reach out and support other vintage bloggers and businesses.  I've been reading Lauren's sewing chronicles at Wearing History for years so sourcing her patterns for the store was a great opportunity to reach out and talk to someone I really respect.  I love that I can buy ad space and support blogs I love like Vavoom Vintage and American Duchess.




You can still take advantage of our Grand Opening 20% off Sale until the 15th too! If you love sewing vintage patterns or like to incorporate retro elements into your projects come take a look! 

She Dreams in Deco will likely include the occasional store news and I plan on documenting the garments I make for the store here but it will really be a personal outlet for me.  I'm going to be a busy lady so I'm looking forward to having this blog be a place where I can relax and muse.


2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog (because you commented on my post about cultural appropriation, thank you!), and I had also recently discovered your shop! I'm glad to know the two are connected! I LOVE the fabric selection you have available, and I'm hoping I'll be able to get some for a project soon. Thanks a bunch for taking the leap and opening this fabric store online! I've struggled with the same problem of trying to find good rayons and such, and this meets a big need in the vintage community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Emileigh! You're my first commentor! Thanks so much for your kind words about the shop, they mean a great deal to me : ) Taking the leap was so scary but is proving a great experience for me. I really enjoy visiting Flashback Summer and am looking forward to getting over my shyness and leaving more comments. Thanks again!

      Delete